Saltford Brass Mill Project
Copyright (C) 2010 Saltford Brass Mill Project. All Rights Reserved
Aerial View of the Brass Mill taken by Drone. 3 Jan 2019
Brass Mill Annealing Furnace. Sept 2008
The site of Saltford mill has been in use since the time of the Domesday record when two watermills were listed in Saltford.
At that time they would have been corn mills housed in simple wooden structures of which nothing is known.
In later centuries
fulling, the thickening process of hand-woven woollen cloth was carried out in buildings which would have been far more substantial.
Fulling ceased in the late 1600s with the bankruptcy of the owner, but the present building may well contain fragments of that earlier
The Bristol Brass Company leased the site in 1721 following which many additions and alterations must
have taken place. An inventory of the mill taken in 1859 states that the mill then comprised:
Battery Mill No 1, comprising:
1 waterwheel (15' x 3' 6"); 3 hammers; 245 hammer heads; and 48 anvils.
Battery Mill No 2, comprising: 1 waterwheel (15' x 3'
6"); 3 hammers; 199 hammer heads; and 36 anvils.
Rolling Mill, comprising: 2 waterwheels, each 15' x 3' 6"; driving 3 pairs
of shears; and 2 pairs of rolls (5' 6" and 3' 6").
The 1903 OS map shows that the mill then stretched as far as the present roadside.
Battery work ceased in 1908 and by 1932 the OS map shows that the western battery mill had been demolished.
structure and pantiled roof are thought to survive from the early brassmaking period, having been subjected to extensive
repairs funded by English Heritage in 1995.